Elizabeth Harvey-Lee Logo Elizabeth Harvey-Lee, Print Dealer Elizabeth Harvey-Lee | Print Dealer Elizabeth Harvey-Lee | Print Dealer
Click here to return to the Home page at any time
Further information about Elizabeth harvey-Lee
The methods and history of printmaking
Order back-copies of Elizabeth's previous printed catalogues
View this month's selection of prints
View Elizabeth's current on-line exhibition, and explore the archives
Contact Elizabeth Harvey-Lee
Elizabeth Harvey-Lee
Elizabeth Harvey-Lee
You are hereHarvey-LeeHomeHarvey-LeeWeb ExhibitionsHarvey-LeeWilliam Walcot IntroHarvey-LeeThe Wooden Temple

William Walcot R.E., Hon.R.I.B.A.  
(Odessa 1874 – 1943 Ditchling, Sussex)

The first wooden Temple of Jupiter or Restoration of one of the first Temples of Jupiter Capitolinus, Rome

The Wooden Temple | William Walcot | Etching with Drypoint & Aquating | Elizabeth harvey-Lee | E H-L 68

The first wooden Temple of Jupiter or
Restoration of one of the first Temples of Jupiter Capitolinus, Rome

E H-L  68. 126 x 177 mm. Etching with drypoint and aquatint, 1918.
Signed in pencil. Published by H C Dickins. UK edition of 75 + 25 for the US. On cream F J Head & Co laid paper, one unobtrusive foxmark, mount-stained in the sheet margins.  

£400

< Previous Walcot Print
 

Additional Information about the Print

Included in the James Connell & Sons 1918 one-man exhibition of Walcot under the title An Etruscan Temple – Jupiter Capitolinus. Also included in the 1927 Fine Art Society mixed show of Etchings, and in the 1929 Beaux Arts mixed show of contemporary etchers, 1929.

The Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus was built by the last of the ‘Etruscan’ Kings of Rome in 509 BC, just before his downfall, and consecrated in the first year of the Roman Republic. Little is known of the links between the earliest Roman buildings and Etruscan models or prototypes. Of the Vitruvian Etruscan ‘Tuscan’ order there are no remains extant.

The Capitoline Hill was the most significant of the seven hills of Rome and the Temple to Jupiter the most sacred shrine in the ancient city. It was burnt down and restored three times. The original Etruscan temple, in wood, was rebuilt by the Romans with imperial splendour. It was preserved till AD 455 and gradually disappeared in the Middle Ages. Its foundations are beneath the Palazzo Caffarelli.