Elizabeth Harvey-Lee Logo. Etchings and Prints for Sale Elizabeth Harvey-Lee, Print Dealer. Etchings and Prints for Sale Elizabeth Harvey-Lee | Print Dealer Elizabeth Harvey-Lee | Print Dealer
Click here to return to the Home page at any time
Further information about Elizabeth harvey-Lee, Print Dealer and Seller
The methods and history of printmaking
Order back-copies of Elizabeth's previous printed catalogues
View this month's selection of prints for sale
View Elizabeth's current on-line exhibition, many prints for sale, and explore the archives
Contact Elizabeth Harvey-Lee and enquire about prints for sale
Elizabeth Harvey-Lee
Elizabeth Harvey-Lee
You are hereHarvey-LeeHomeHarvey-LeeWeb ExhibitionsHarvey-LeeWilliam Walcot Intro Harvey-LeeTemple of Minerva

William Walcot R.E., Hon.R.I.B.A.  
(Odessa 1874 – 1943 Ditchling, Sussex)

The Remains of the Temple of Minerva, Rome
(also called the Remains of the Forum of Minerva)

Temple of Minerva, Rome | William Walcot | Etching | Elizabeth harvey-Lee | E H-L 248

The Remains of the Temple of Minerva, Rome
(also called the Remains of the Forum of Minerva)

EH-L 5. 248 x 292 mm. Etching, with touches of aquatint and rockerwork, 1908.
Signed in pencil. Printed with platetone on cream laid paper, the shirt of the cart driver wiped clean in contrast to the architecture behind. Two short supported tears at the lower sheet edge in the margin.

£750

< Previous Walcot Print
 
 

Additional Information about the Print

A view of the Colonacce. This giant pair of Corinthian columns in purple and white marble, and the associated frieze of Minerva teaching the arts of sewing and weaving, were part of the colonnade on the northeast side of the Temple of Minerva in the Forum of Nerva. They are all that remains of the ancient Roman temple which was pulled down in the 17th century by Pope Paul V to provide marble for the fountain of the Acqua Paola he was erecting on the Janiculum.

An impression (though titled The Temple of Minerva) was included in a group show of etchings at the Fine Art Society in 1908.

An impression was included (as Remains of the Forum of Minerva) in Walcot’s first one-man show of etchings, at the Fine Art Society 1914.